April 23rd, 2018
- 1. Hunger Action LA: Anti Hunger Advocacy Training Monday April 30 6-7:30 PM in Koreatown
- 2. Farm Bill Updates and Activities
- 3. Renters Day LA: Demand LA City Take Action on High Rents, Wednesday April 25
- 4. Hunger Action Day May 16 Sacramento
- 5. New CDE Mobile App Helps Families Find Summer and Afterschool Meal Program Locations
Drastic Changes to Food Stamps/ SNAP Prerequisites
Taken from Rising Up with Sonali
A Call to reject all proposals in the Chairmans' Farm Bill that would result in reduced food assistance to Californians.
Download the doc, or read on…
April 3rd 2018
- 1. USDA Accepting Comments on Proposal to Cut Food Aid from People Not Working 20 Hours Per Week
- 2. Trump Administration Prepares Rules To Punish Immigrants Who Legally Receive Benefits
- 3. Bill to Raise Payments for Seniors and Disabled in California Moves to Human Services Committee April 10
- 4. LA Times: Bringing Meals to People With Food Insecurity Can Save Healthcare Costs
March 7th, 2018:
- 1. Send Email Thurs March 8th to Support $100 for 100% to End Poverty for SSI Recipients
- 2. International Womens Day March 8th Rally Downtown LA:
- 3. Your Advocacy Is Working: More L.A. Area Congressmembers Support Closing the Meal Gap! Keep Calling!
- 4. Street Vendors Rally Friday March 9th at City Hall, LA 9am
February 23rd, 2018:
- Call in Day Feb 27th* to Washington DC: Protect SNAP!
- Send Emails to Get Sponsors for HR 1276: Closing the Meal Gap
- Volunteer Opportunities and Upcoming Events:
a. Netiya Food Garden Installation Needs Volunteers: Sunday Feb 25th
b. Blind Low Vision Farmers Market Day Sunday March 4th
c. HALA at UCLA March 8th: International Womens Day March 8th
d. Food Waste Prevention Week March 5 – 9 Hunger Action Day May 16th, Sacramento
- State and Local Anti-Hunger Agenda
a. $100 for 100% to End Poverty for SSI Recipients
b. Support Meals for Kids in Charter Schools
c. County and State Actions Attempt to Help Renters and Homeless
- More on the Harvest Box Boondoggle
- Why is the NBA Promoting Chocolate Milk?
* Link item 1. Changed from: Sep 27th, to Feb 27thRead more
February 20, 2018:
- 1. Disaster CalFresh for Families Affected by Recent Wildfires
- 2. Volunteer Opportunities and Upcoming Events:
*HALA Conf Call Feb 23
*Blind & Low Vision Farmers Farmers Market Day March 4
*HALA At UCLA March 8
*FarmLA Volunteer Day Feb. 24
*International Women's Day March 8
*Downtown Women’s Action Center Presents Vagina Monologues, Feb 23-25
- 3. Trump’s Food Box Idea Ain’t Blue Apron
- 4. Congress Trying to End Consumer & Environmental Protections
- 5. Is Mickey D’s Banishing Chocolate Milk from Happy Meals?
*Thanks to your advocacy and that of many others around the state, AB 3200 has been introduced to restore the SSI grant to poverty level!